I’m an advocate of all kinds of outdoor activities. I’m thrilled that so many people are starting to take their exercises outdoors. For lots of us it’s more fun and motivating to do it with others. And for all of us, there are questions as to how. That’s why I provide a wide array of Nancercize services and products–customized classes for groups and individuals; workshops to train professionals and nonprofessionals train to give Nancercize classes; publications such as a customized, site-specific fitness guide and map and my book, “Nancercize: 101 Things to Do on a Park Bench;” and design consulting for communities and landscape architects. Contact me for details and to hear about my reasonable rates. I have a sliding scale based on your budget and needs.
Join us—and join the movement to the outdoors!
How You Can Enjoy the Benefits of Nancercize:
- Try a free public class in northern Manhattan (see below and this short video).
- Take a private, individual class with me. I’ll custom-design a program just for you in a park or other outdoor space–even your own backyard–near you (New York City Area).
- Take a private group class with me. I’ll custom-design a program just for your group of 4-19 people in a park or other open space near you, including corporate parks, atria, courtyards, shared schoolyards, walking trails, and plazas (New York City Area).
- Get trained to lead a group of your own. I would be happy to train you to lead Nancercize groups in your community, school, or workplace via in-person or tele-workshops. Get fit and help others get fit at the same time.
- Already a fitness trainer? Join one of my in-person or tele-workshops and I’ll share with you what I’ve learned in 7 years of outdoor fitness training. Expand your reach with a tried-and-true Nancercize branded program.
- Customized fitness guide to your park. To accompany and support your custom-designed Nancercize fitness program, I’ll create a customized, site-specific fitness guide and map (here’s a sample) that you can use along with my book, “Nancercize: 101 Things to Do on a Park Bench.”
- Design consulting We usually use what furniture and features are there. With a little creative thinking, this usually works pretty well. But over the years I’ve thought about how it would work better for individuals as well as groups. If you are a community group or landscape architect who wants to incorporate slight design modifications as an alternative to the expense of constructing “adult playgrounds,” I can help.
- Public speaking, presentations and demonstrations. Often these are “Walk-and-talks” where I give a talk and then a demonstration. See media page for more info.
- Ask about my fitness and weight management programs. Physical activity is key but other lifestyle habits such as nutrition, stress, and sleep are important too. So, I provide comprehensive education and coaching to groups and individuals both face-to-face and by phone and webinars, based on the sound science in my book “Dare to Lose” and my extensive experience.
Take My Classic Nancercize Class
Get a free taste of Nancercize. I personally teach my Classic 60-minute Nancercize Class (aka “My Morning Fitness Class”) three times a week in beautiful Fort Tryon Park. Join me for this free year-round class in which we spice up a 1-mile walk around the park with equipment-free strengthening and stretching exercises. We use only your own bodyweight and park furniture and features.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 7:30 AM- 8:30 AM
Saturdays: 8:30 AM-9:30 AM – with an optional walk to a nearby Green Market.
How to get there: We meet at the entrance to Fort Tryon Park near the “A” train 190th Street subway stop. Alternate transportation: M4 bus line to Margaret Corbin Circle. We meet year-round. Events are cancelled in heavy rain, temperature or wind chill below 20 degrees F, or with weather or air quality advisories.
Take My Free Yoga Walkabout Class
From September 23-October 30, 2013 I taught seniors how to add stretching, strengthening, and balancing exercises to a brisk walk. Never boring! The sponsor, City Parks Foundation, plans to bring it back in the spring of 2014, so check back then.
Mondays and Wednesdays: 11:00 AM-12 noon
Meet at the flagpole at the entrance to Inwood Hill Park, where Seaman and Isham intersect.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to register and for more info.
Take My Free Indoor/Outdoor Fitness Class Class
From November though April, at John Jay Park on the Upper East Side of NYC. Geared to those 60 years of age or older, we focus on exercises to improve strength, flexibility, coordination, endurance, energy, and balance.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
The sponsor, City Parks Foundation, has opened up a small building in the park to use in cold or inclement weather, but we will be exercising outdoors when the weather permits. Email me at email@example.com to register and for more info.
Join in Green Gym Day
I created Green Gym Day in 2013, as a day for everyone to get out and get moving in our parks. Green Gym Day occurs the second Sunday of June. Be sure to join us for next year’s Green Gym Day, on Sunday June 8, 2014. It’s easy to sign up on our website: www.GreenGymDay.org. Our first year (2013) was a wonderful success, with a Nancercize Workshop, Yoga, Tai Chi, Zombie Tag, ping-pong, and a Flamenco class which included my debut performance as a flamenca! Read these articles about it:
101 Ideas for Playing Outdoors—Make Every Day a “Green Gym Day”
“Small Miracles: Can We Make Every Day a Green Gym Day?”
“Join the Outdoor Exercise Movement with Green Gym Day”
Try These Additional Warm Weather Classes
I invite you take these free classes in Fort Tryon Park that I also coordinate. Dates vary from year to year; come back and visit this page in the spring for actual dates. Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Qigong
Fridays, 9:30 AM- 10:30 AM
Starts in April
Location: Cloisters Lawn
Sunrise Tai Chi Classes
Wednesdays, 6:30 AM – 7:30 AM
Starts in May
Location: Linden Terrace
Wednesdays, 6:45 PM– 8:00 PM
Starts in June
With a variety of certified local Yoga Instructors
Bring your own towel or mat.
Location: Abby’s Lawn
Parent & Me Yoga
Saturdays, 9:00 – 9:45 AM
Starts in May
All ages are welcome—from infants on up!
Bring your own towel or mat.
Location: Abby’s Lawn.
The Fort Tryon Park classes are offered at no cost because they are sponsored by The Fort Tryon Park Trust, Elephant Rock Foundation, and the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation. Please pre-register for all classes at Nancy@Nancercize.com.